FROM THE CHIEF
As Chief of Police, I would like to invite you to consider a career with the San Antonio Police Department. San Antonio, with more than one million residents, is the seventh largest city in the U.S. and is a community whose residents reflect diverse cultural backgrounds. The city’s economic base in tourism, military, health care / technology and agri-business, combined with the charm and historical significance preserved in the Alamo and its other Spanish missions, in its historic neighborhoods and in the world-famous River Walk, create a unique and pleasant environment for residents and visitors alike.
Our department is seeking men and women from all backgrounds who welcome a challenge and share our philosophy of community service. To those who accept the challenge, we offer not only excellent training, great pay and benefits, and ample opportunities for advancement, but also the opportunity to provide a service to the community as San Antonio police officers.
– Chief William McManus
The San Antonio Police Department is looking for people who want to achieve greatness — not defined necessarily by heroic works but by a constant dedication to serving those around you.
- The SAPD is first and foremost defined by our family of officers.
- We are leaders, leading the City of San Antonio.
- We are challengers, pushing each other to greatness.
- We are family members, protecting each other.
- We all have a desire to serve. That is why we chose the SAPD. This is our opportunity to work with the great citizens of San Antonio, protect lives and enhance the quality of life within our city.
No matter what industry or field you are considering a career in, one of the most important factors in choosing a career path is the opportunity for advancement. This allows for long-term growth within a company and job satisfaction in finding a position that best suits you. The SAPD features a number of units, each with the opportunity to join.
Officers, when eligible, are encouraged to apply for positions in:
- Bomb Squad
- Motorcycle Unit
- Recruiting Unit
- Executive Protection Unit
- Bicycle Patrol
- DWI Unit
- Training Division
- K-9 Unit
- Intelligence Unit
- Critical Incident (Hostage) Negotiation Team
- Eagle (Helicopter)
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Most large organizations that are successful have a basic set of principles that draw their members together. To bring together a large and diverse group of people to serve and protect the city of San Antonio, we have defined a vision, mission and guiding principles that are unique to the SAPD.
Take a moment to read what guides us and makes us proud to be police officers in San Antonio.
To be the premier law enforcement agency by building trust, creating partnerships and sharing leadership within the SAPD and the community for a safer San Antonio.
The San Antonio Police Department is dedicated to improving the quality of life by creating a safe environment in partnership with the people we serve. We act with integrity to reduce fear and crime while treating all with respect, compassion and fairness.
- Integrity. We hold ourselves accountable and demand the highest level of ethical and moral standards from all. We are role models, acting with courage and building trust within the organization and the community.
- Respect. Mutual respect is the foundation for every interaction. We value diversity and encourage open communication by treating everyone with dignity and fairness.
- Compassion. Compassion guides our actions as we care for one another. We treat people with kindness and respect while working for the benefit of all.
- Fairness. We are committed to consistently treating people in a courteous and impartial manner.